“ViMac” aka Vista on the iMac, Vista / XP on a G4?
[Update] For those of you (all two of you) wondering how goes our new (occasional) migration back into the Windows world at TheMNT… quite well! Vista Home Premium is up and running beautifully on the iMac 2Ghz C2D via VMWare Fusion. Bootcamp was a little much for the light use which we will be using, so virtualization seemed like the perfect solution. Here are the details and screens:
- Vista is being emulated on (only!) a 4GB partition on the Mac, space efficiency was a goal. Dual core processing enabled and 1GB RAM of the available 2GB being used.
- Remote hard drive space provided free by Xdrive (5GB) and Skydrive (5GB)! Xdrive includes a nifty desktop UI for easy, .mac like access. Microsoft Skydrive is still working on a solution to this obvious omission (currently web UI only).
- File sharing between Mac and Win folders a breeze.
- Aero interface (glass and transparencies) still not supported in Fusion. True MS eye-candy cannot be fully tapped… yet. 😦
- Time and date stuck in a weird international time zone. (Fixed!!!)
- Safari better than IE7 bar none. Better rendering and quality of photos, faster speeds, etc…
So far so good. Now to get XP or Vista on the ol’ Powerbook G4… have any of you readers had to do XP on a G4? Let us know how you did it! (Virtual PC 7?)
No comments yet.